Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I have sold my soul to Google. To those of you who wondered if I had one, be assured - it's gone. My main e-mail is Gmail. My main IM is Google Talk. My predominant online experience is dictated by Google. Now, the deepest darkest ramblings of my heart (yes, I still have it... negotiations fell through) are belong to them.

"Why hast thou cavéd in to peer pressure and uséd the most commonly uséd blogging site?", I hear ye ask. Apparently it's easier to use - I'll know after a few more entries. It's quicker to log in to. And apparently there's a little app that I can add to my Word to allow me to directly update, without all the logging in nonsense. A full report will be on your desk in a few posts, m'lud.

Multiple AIM 2001 (plus or minus a year or two) award winner Rabbit was busying filming a music video for his latest single, My Mind, over the weekend. I was involved in a couple of scenes, shot at Bangsar Village. Very interesting experience - I've never had so much makeup on before. Foundation piled on and on, it took me about ten minutes to wash it all off. By the way, MAC, if you ever need a male model...

It was my first time in front of a camera (for a wide audience), and all the processes involved were so fascinating. Makeup and costume, to a briefing by the (equivalent to) stage manager, to a briefing by the director, to a meeting to my partner for the scene. We have a couple of practice runs, then an agonising wait. Camera + accessories set-up. Lighting set-up (which involved multiple cars realigning themselves to point at us from various angles). Camera crew briefing. Final makeup touch-up (involving lots of tissue for me - I was in a full suit, bathed in the accusing glares of multiple headlights in an outdoor car park), and we were ready.

Ready? Rolling... Action!

CUT!

Okay, one more just in case. Rolling... Action!

CUT!

That was it. The whole machine was rapidly propelling toward the set up of the next scene already. A bit of time to chill, get into a miscommunication about my makeup, and it was my next scene already. I think this involved quite a close-up on my face - I almost felt my nostrils swallow the scene.

There were a couple more scenes, which went along as above. What is most interesting is the contrast between theatre and video - on video, it's so fast. Wham bam thank you Jo. There's that quick moment between "action" and "cut" where you need to make it happen, and that's it. Of course, you DO need to make it happen lah. I don't know what they do if, on review of the recording, it didn't happen. Reshoot? Rework the scene? One thing's clear: they'll remember you for that.

In theatre, you will be drilled and drilled with practices to make sure EVERYTHING is congruent. Of course, you are presenting yourself for longer periods of time, and usually it's every single part of you. In essence, you could say that in theatre, you're "live". You cannot get away with being out of character at ANY time, on stage. On video, the camera is the mono-focused audience - once it's looking elsewhere, you don't matter. Even if you screw up in scene, it can be reconstituted or simply redone from that point on.

One of the production crew was just telling me that in his experience, people who do theatre and then get into video tend to do better than people who do video then get into theatre.
I can see why. Of course, whether or not it's true, I don't know lah. Either way, it's all about the character - creating, developing, getting into, reworking, believing, and staying in. And, like anything else in life, all this work is totally a matter of self-discipline.

I'll wait for the release of the video before speaking further on it. Guys, thanks so much for the experience, the patience and the friendliness.

It has truly been a most interesting year for me, and I'll relate more of my experiences with theatre and video and the arts and whatnot as they happen.

Something else that I forgot to mention: my MC-ing of my friend's boutique's PC! In long, that's "my being Master of Ceremony for my friend's boutique's Press Conference!" Hmmm I think MC is a verb now, too.


Check out the place - it sells brand name products for a reasonable price, and they're usually very nice things. It's called Sew & Soul, in Bangsar. It's in the Telawi area, next to Kiosk and upstairs; opposite the pondok polis.

Now that was an interesting experience. Conducting a fashion show. Greeting the press for the re-launch of a boutique. Describing the featured clothes the models wore. Calling a top "fun & flirty" (yes I did). My application for Queer Eye is in the post.


Okay this has turned out a lot longer than I expected, so I'll end my 1st post here, here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aran Chandran said...

Hey Jo,

Well come to the gDarkside. It's scary how much Google is involved in my daily internet life as well.

Glad to see the acting taking you places. :)

Now I can go and add this blog to my Google Reader.

Aran.

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home