Friday, July 06, 2007

What A Day...

Just had a rehearsal where my body went through a whole gamut of emotions. Partly from the songs and the latest orchestrations and directions, partly just letting go from the buildup of yesterday, partly a result of recent events, and partly from just missing the damn rehearsal room (though very much appreciating the time off though not technically time off).

Tunku the Musical. Much as we're still figuring out lots of things in terms of the production as a whole, it will absolutely kick ass. Musically we're working hard to fine-tune it, but some songs are so powerful and emotive that combined with the orchestra, one song or another will strike a chord in every heart of the audience. Visually we're still in the dark about how we'll look - what our costumes are (though we'll have a slight preview this Sat at the press conference) and what exactly will be the images projected on stage (part of our funky production). Movement-wise we're also still working it out, though I predict (as mentioned before) that most of us will be still with the dancers doing the bulk of the movement.

And yes I'm not impressed with the poster / picture thus far. It hasn't been explicitly said that this is it (unless I missed that) but I hope I hope I hope pray pray pray that this is NOT it. One of the writers was raving about it and frankly, he's off his head.


Sponsored someone new to Agel today. Happiness, it's been awhile and this month's looking especially good. Just in time for a training tomorrow as well as a PBR, which is as good a set-up as can be - and one more step towards building good residual income.


Yes, performed Tari Canggung Hamidah yesterday at Auditorium Museum Shah Alam (yes). Generally enjoyed it - I do love the stage. Personally thought I could've done more with my character, though I'm not sure what; the limited rehearsal period and the poor production team meant that we didn't have too much time to work well. My character has a lot of potential for humour, which is a most tempting demon (eliciting laughter is sheer joy) but one that should not be layan-ed unless necessary.

Overall I think people enjoyed the show, though the cast, the technical team and the stage management team were relatively inexperienced. It showed, with several missed technical cues, delayed entrances and underprojected voices. I did feel it was practically a one-man show (in terms of production, not the performance), so great kudos to Baem for shouldering such extreme madness. Bloody stupid thing to do but sometimes one has to make do with only the cards dealt them. We had only one technical run, with no full dress rehearsal - and even that tech run, the tech team weren't prepared for.


Lessons learned:

1. The director should not act in his play. Though there's no fixed rule about this (and apparently some directors can break this rule with great panache and aplomb), for most people this will be highly detrimental to the play.

2. Delegate to people and trust them. I do think that there were many underutilised heads there that could've made the production flow better but weren't used.

3. Stage management and technical should: a) know what they're doing, b) know the script, c) attend at least some rehearsals.

4. A production just needs so many people who know enough of what they're doing, and doing it. Teamwork gila.


The venue's so-so. Stage is decent, carpets need a very very desperate thorough clean. Acoustics seemed ok though didn't get a chance to really test it. Stage layout a bit silly, the rigging lines are just immediately behind the back wall curtain making it an unnecessary danger. Backstage layout also a bit silly, too many steps means added danger to movement (people and props). Only suraus on the floor (or maybe even building?) are next to the changing rooms, which means no privacy and disconnection between backstage and public. Poor maintenance lah, the real Malaysian malaise. I wouldn't mind performing there again but I'd not stage a production there myself.

Me? I think it was a good experience. More time on stage, in front of people never hurts. Having experience in a Malay play might help. Working with different people is useful. Exploring the Cina within is always fun.


Ok late already.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger G said...

yea ... gary here from KLPac.
Uhm ... as for the design.
---
yea. uhm.
I gathered you havent' gotten the postcards yet.

Some people like them, some people don't.

(shrugs) - Its the producers and director's call, no? :D

I like it, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to the musical itself since I haven't really seen rehearsals or gotten a feel for the musical.

Unless I miss my mark, but I guess I'll trust the director with this,

:p

*wink* - hi johann :D

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home