Friday, July 21, 2006

Twice in a day??

Yeah, a quickie just isn't quite satisfying enough. Twice a day everyday might be a little tiring though... how to do anything else man?


To: The Vatican City, 21st July 2006


Dear Coven of Cardinals,

I hereby submit as candidate for the office of Pope in your coming election Father Mervyn. His picture has been attached for clarity.

As vocal coach of the musical production, his contributions have been invaluable. He has elevated it to a higher level of purity and has made it resound with the many souls of the production and, I assure you, the upcoming audience. These many joyous and rapturous souls shall see salvation.

And truly, he has been a saviour to us all, for we have been given (from On High) a day of rest. With which I humbly submit this application to your kind attention; for his mercy, generosity and grace should not go by unnoticed.

I would further propose that, upon his ascendancy to the papal throne, he take on the appellation Pope Crocodile I - in recognition of his enlightening efforts upon us ignorant souls, without which we would not have noticed ants along the floor nor the slow excruciating removal of a pin from our antipodes.

Thank you for your kind attention and time. Amen.




Tomorrow marks a most exciting weekend. Another first time for me this year - being in a "sound studio" recording MY SINGING. Even now, if you went "your singing will be on CD for sale to the public" I'd snort "yeah what, for 'How NOT To Sing' is it". But it's true, it's real, and it's just about here. Pinch me. Eh, not there lah. Opportunist.

Tickets are on sale now. Official poster's out, too. Check it out. Awesome-nation!!! And maybe, just maybe, one day there'll be a poster with MY name on it, right on top. One day.

At the risk of sounding like a scratched CD, I am truly truly happy with the journey I'm on with this production. It's a musical awakening for me. I'm discovering how much I enjoy it all, even singing. It's really hard for me to describe my relationship with my own singing before, but it's a lethal mix of one parent singing a tuneless "Happy Birthday", the other's singing irritating me to headaches, and my own conviction of a lack of ability. Now, I really really want to enrol in serious vocal lessons and do a "Music of the Night" that would blast Colm Wilkinson out of the water. To beeee... the Phantom of Malayyyysia!

Okay so I've been watching too many musicals. I think I enjoy them on video better than on stage. Or maybe it's the subtitles... I don't seem to hear words very well when they are sung. Maybe the whole melody takes my attention away from what they're saying. Anyway I've been watching Hey Mr Producer, which has some truly amazing stuff. From Oliver's choreographical masterpiece 'Food Glorious Food' to Stephen Sondheim's works (eg Send in the Clowns, You've Gotta Have A Gimmick) to Five Guys Named Moe to Les Misérables. I'm hooked!

Maybe, just maybe, I'm living up to my namesake and am well on the way to bringing some music into the family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aran Chandran said...

"Maybe, just maybe, I'm living up to my namesake..."

Haha, so can we pronounce it as "Yo-HaN" now?

11:24 am  
Blogger xch3qr said...

Hail Pope Crocodile I! ;-D

9:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a petition or something I can sign for Fr. Mervyn-who-belts-sarcastic-gems-under-his-breath? He rulez!!!

8:50 pm  
Blogger Jo said...

Maybe, just maybe, you can start pronouncing it as "Yo-HaN" now... and maybe, just maybe, I'll even respond. Nah, probably not.

11:47 am  
Blogger Bottie Bots said...

Aiight! I second the nomination for his most holiness Father Mervyn, The future Pope Crocodile I!

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home