Wednesday, March 05, 2008

So I'm having a crazy year (and it started with a play called Untitled)

I actually have a resolution to post 3 times weekly here. So far, I'm not doing too well, I know. Technically it's a good thing, as I'm busy doing the things I wanna do in life. I'm not complaining, no sirree, but it's about danged time I started noting all these things down again.

Highlights of the past month:
- Uncut Untitled Paper House (UUPH) directing
- UUPH publicizing
- Jinggo & Friends
- The Oral Stage's upcoming Biggstage (June '08)
- getting back into Agel
- performer's database project
- auditioning for The Amazing Race Asia 3

Books:
- Allegiance
- Birds Without Wings
- Acting: The First Six Lessons
- A Sense of Direction
- Freemasonry
- The Tipping Point
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull
- Lords of the Bow

Movies / Series (worth mentioning):
- The Tudors
- Alone
- Apocalypto
- Sweeney Todd
- Saw 4
- The Office (both UK and US)

Okay so the books and shows aren't all in the past month, they're stuff that I've been meaning to talk about but haven't gotten down to just yet. But something happened on Monday night that brought a massive smile to my face. Well a couple of things happened, but anyway at the mamak, chatting with my Untitled cast as well as some other friends of theatre etc, some people talked about auditions and my initial reaction was being upset - how'd I miss that??

Then it dawned upon me. I was too busy doing what I enjoy doing to notice.

Wow. Awesomenation. Three (million) cheers for The Secret, positivity, absolute tons of self-belief and a healthy wallop of luck. Theatre-wise, I'm covered until September. Ain't that just a friggin' cool statement. Woo hoo!


Anyway enough joy for the moment. The main point I'd like to make this post - no, not point, but note - is just a progress report on the behemoth I took up called Untitled. Yes, it's just 22mins long but as a playwrighting and directorial debut, coupled with the combination of a non-certified dancer and a differing range of experience in the cast, thrown into a production with 2 experienced and rather good writers; it was fucking gargantuan. Is.

Last Monday started with me expecting a normal rehearsal for the 3 of us: we start warming up together, then we separate to our individual studios to rehearse our respective plays. But no. 10 minutes before rehearsal begins, I discover that we're doing a full run of the play for the benefit of the set designer, the lighting designer and the artistic director. I, of course, shat bricks.

No, they're not ready! We're not ready! We can't do it with Ky-Gan's bloody beautifully-wordy script and Mark's charmingly ghostly story! Our dance isn't quite ready! My cast need more time! I need more time!

Several bricks, a sore ass and some good laughs later, I was a happy chappy. Not only did Untitled pull through decently well, it fared well against Uncut and Paper House. My biggest fear, of course, was that my inadequacy as a writer/director/wannabe/rising-star would show up glaringly when it came down to showtime, that I'd be beaten down for reaching so high so fast. Thankfully, not so.

Thank you so much, FangAlfredAmelia, for giving so much. Thank you Joe & Faridah, for your belief in me that I didn't quite have myself. Thank you Mark & Ky-Gan, for your faith. You all made Monday night a truly special experience for me, and I shall not forget that.

I am eternally grateful even now, that things are shaping up even better than I expected. The choreography is coming out wonderfully well, with the amazing Marcus Tucker putting his brand of magic into it that further builds on my belief that 'there's no such thing as coincidence' (that's a whole nother story right there). My dancer's working out better than I could hope for. I think Untitled's something I'm already proud of and happy with.

And you know what? That makes it all worth it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Maya Kismet said...

Proud of you!

2:00 am  
Blogger Miss Aida said...

It's all worth it when you see the end result.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Auditioning for Amazing Race (again?) Hope you get it, it'll be fun seeing you get *beeped* every now and then. Glad the play is getting on great. We're watching it on Opening Night actually, how's that for support?! (Even Boon is coming, and he's not a play person) Will mail you the email that I completely forgot. Take care and I'll see you soon Mr. writer/director/wannabe/rising-star.

2:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home