Wednesday, July 26, 2006

No day but today

Yes it’s the tagline from Rent. Beautifully poignant, those four little words encompass what so many self-help / inspirational / motivational / self-actualising texts are about. Really makes you think… well, the context of the whole movie / musical really makes you think, doesn’t it. We don’t know when our time is up. How long will we wait before we reach for the star that we’re meant for?

What do I want to do with my life? What do I want my life to mean? How do I want to be remembered? The movie / musical’s biggest song (Seasons of Love, sample from Amazon.com) asks ‘how do you measure the worth of a person’, answering with ‘in love’. I am truly blessed in that aspect, in that my life is filled with people who love me and with people whom I love. I know that if I were to die right now, I would be sorely missed. But that’s not enough for me. It’s nice, hell it’s great, but somehow, not enough.

In my wildest dreams my name would mark some scientific or computational law. The Johann Inconsistency Constant. Wacheh. Or some massive foundation. Or charity, or mission. Some kind of institution for the greater good. In my more domestic dreams it’d be roads, or buildings. I just realised that we don’t actually have many statues in this country. A super-bestselling book. Hell, a township.

All that would be nice and good, but what would it be for? THAT is the fundamental question. How do I want to contribute to society? How do I want to contribute to the world? What do I want me epitaph to be, besides ‘Good Friend’?

Sigh. Man and his eternal search for meaning. Excuse me a sec...

*gulp*


Aaahhhhh….


Broken Bridges just had a press conference yesterday. As cool as it all sounds, with the press having a preview of the musical and all the lenses trained on us, it was very not unnerving for me. Surprisingly, considering the last 3 times there were press around I almost collapsed into a massive pile of twitching nerves (once at a rehearsal, see Monday’s NST; once at Shan’s Sew & Soul PC; once during one of the Acting for Beginners class). I think the “visualising” I did with Carliff earlier in the day helped – we were just reflecting on how far we’d come (we did Acting for Beginners together, and had no other prior experience) and seeing a packed Pentas 1 cheering us on.

The preview Joe laid out flowed really well, showing each and every character and showing enough snapshots to entice but not reveal. I understand that the press were suitably impressed, though a quick Google today revealed nothing new. We’ll see in a couple of days’ time. But Pentas 1 rocks. Superfly equipment and space and stuff. Wow. We’ll be working there over this week, together with mics – practically the real deal. How cool is that. Fuwah!

At last, I've found a good English word that sounds like my surname: limn. Having had my ears subjected to a variety of poor homonyms such as limb or limp (and their associated jokes), this is good news indeed. Clan party!

I am finally using Blogger for Word. This entry has been completely done using it. So far so good, but having gotten used to doing it directly in Blogspot, it feels a bit strange. I suppose it’s good for the guilt-conscious as it’s Word you’re typing in, not a web log page. Also good for poor spellers. Something I learned – sometimes Outlook will block the Blogger toolbar in Word, so you need to close both and open Word first. Full details here. Just found out that opening a draft will screw all your whitespaces up. In English it means you’ll have to press Enter a lot after you load a draft. Can't load images in, so that REALLY sucks. Review will continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home