Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A foggy day in London town...

Just discovered another blogger's review of (the preview of) Broken Bridges, check it out! She's quite a psycho chick. There's loads of really nice pictures there though. I think she's going to London soon, which made me think about my time there.

It's always with mixed emotions that I recall London. There's the depressing weather, the grey, the damp, the dirtiness of it all, the mass of people people people. Then there's the whole sheer romantic beauty of history, of the river, the bridges, the random works of art, fountains, statues, the wonderful oldness of it all. It's expensive, and it's a capital city, and it's a madhouse. There's anything and everything you could ever look for or want. It is truly a living, breathing organism - dirty and smelly in some places, and breathtakingly beautiful in others.

It is truly the epitomy of scotomisation. Or rather, the idea that "you cannot see what you don't know". For example, Leicester Square. All my time there, I know it as 'the expensive cinema area' (there's a special Odeon there that charges £11 per ticket - that's currently about RM70 for a movie ticket! For reference, it's about 3 times more expensive than the cheapest movie ticket you can find in London). Sometimes there are street performances. I recently found out that it's the most happening 'pick-up' area in London and that it's filled with players. No idea.

Of course, with sooo damn many people, it can be very impersonal. There's a wonderful sense of anonymity there that really allows you to just be. No one knows, no one cares. It needs a little getting used to, of course - but it can be the most liberating thing in the whole world. Especially with Asian culture being so tight-knit and kay-poh. Maybe it's just Malaysian culture, since we aren't so numerous - I don't know the perspective of crazily populous places like Japan and China. Now THAT is another adventure I'd like to partake in sometime - living in one of those places for an extended period of time. Undergo ninja training or something. Kick-ass!

The thing I miss most about the UK is the people. Or the language. Or the humour. Some subtle combination of it all. Funniest people in the whole world. Sorry lah Americans, it's true. The best joke you have currently sits in the White House. If a nation can come up with Ali G (and "ultimate" site), man they're good. There isn't a show, no matter how banal, where they don't try to inject some humour into it. Nothing is too serious or important to be laughed at (including themselves). Their newspapers and magazines are really a joy to read. Hence my daily e-mail subscription of BBC. Now I don't even read The Star or NST every day, but I do my BBC. One of the more neutral coverages around, methinks - I'm not keen on US propaganda. I love BBC's Day in pictures.


Now on a more serious subject, here's a scary article - Environmental 'crisis' in Lebanon. Hallo, fuckers, wake up! It's a fucking HUMANITARIAN DISASTER in Lebanon! Kids are signing on missiles and bombs that are being launched into Lebanon. WTF?!? It's crazy shit it's madness. Thank God Malaysia's a peaceful paradise on earth. Shit man, we're so pacifist that if someone fired a gun on the street, I don't think anyone would duck. We'd all be looking around, like, aiyo whose tayar pancet so loud wan?

I mean, wtf right. Can you imagine if Singapore kidnapped 2 of our soldiers? Ok there are hundreds of hilarious reactions to that, from "sure, take them thanks!" to "Malaysians, there will be a temporary cut to your water supply while we attempt to flood Singapore...", but imagine further that we retaliated. Can't right? What, rolling tanks across the causeway? Our jets shrieking by overhead, sonic booms vibrating through our Twin Towers? JB converted into a massive military bunker?

Of course, realistically I think they'd whip us left right and centre (if we don't sink them in time). Every Singaporean is NS-trained and gun-trained. We have to ask parents permission to train our people with guns. And promise not to use real bullets.

But the article has a point. It would be a real environmental 'crisis' if we sank Singapore.


On further notes of frivolity, this is one funny site: HotorNot.com . American approval-seeking at its finest. Am I hot or not? Give me a rating! Tell me if I'm a 9 or a 10! Holy crap I'm an 8, daddy daddy pay for my plastic surgery! Okay the thought just popped into my head and I had to check for a CacatorNot.com or CacatorNot.com.my . Nope, not there. Anyone interested in a business venture to get Malaysians to ask "Am I cacat or not", you know where to find me. I'm also open to book (Dummy's Guide to Being Cacat) opportunities.


The Movie Of Your Life Is A Black Comedy

In your life, things are so twisted that you just have to laugh.
You may end up insane, but you'll have fun on the way to the asylum.

Your best movie matches: Being John Malkovich, The Royal Tenenbaums, American Psycho


Thanks anomie. Me, Johann Malkovich, the Malaysian Psycho.


Went for an audition yesterday evening. A most interesting sounding play, called Ah Steve/Suzy, by a fellow cast-member. Quite a straightforward process, it was just a reading (2, actually) where I read for the part of a doctor, in the opening scene. What I liked about it is that the intro's intriguing, there's a sprinkling of Penang Hokkien in there and it's promising to be a black comedy (see above). No idea on how I did - just played the part as I would expect a psychiatrist to be: clinical, professional, detached yet connecting with the patient. We'll see.

Also heard about another musical coming up, slated for January, that sounds very interesting and exciting. No info yet so will update as and when.

Oh yeah - we have a sexy banner up at KLPAC. See.
And we're in this month's KLue. And a small ad in New Man.


So exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home