Tuesday, October 17, 2006

An ASM?

You mean an Assault Space Marine, what with chainswords bolt pistols jet packs and all? YOU?!?
That'd be cool, for the whole Warhammer 40k reality shit, but I honestly cannot, in my most wildly geekiest fantasies, think that being one of those right here right now is cool any way whatsoever. Really, what the hell can I do with all that funky shit? Be the resident superhero is it (Sayangi Kuala Lumpur... OR ELSE!!!) ? Kick the asses of terrorists worldwide? Be the test target for new weapons? Be the ultimate carpenter? Be an immediate usher-in as Darth Vader in Star Wars VII: I Am Your Father Too?

What I mean is that I have just signed a contract taking on the role of Assistant Stage Manager for The Odd Couple, showing at KLPAC from Nov 6th to Nov 12th. Just experienced the first night - meeting the cast (minus one) and meeting the script. The script is awesome - it's bloody hilarious. The cast are great too - they've worked on this before (except one) so the chemistry and energy is already there, which makes it fun. Explains why there are only 3 weeks of rehearsals.

I'm really excited about taking this job on. It'll be a great experience, and I'll learn so much about what goes on in a production. I think I'll have it easy, too (relatively anyway) - this play has been done before, it's practically the same people, it's funny and it's over a short span of time. Perfect for a newbie.


The endless allure of the stage

I meet up for mamak with a crew consisting of my current mentor, a Jed Madela fanatic, a musical fanatic, a navigationally-impaired salesman and a woman who wants to be the next Jean-Luc Picard. And I get asked a question that I never thought I'd ever hear - "How would you like to be a Producer?" Isn't that the least glamourous role in all of theatre? Where will I put my ego?? You mean I can't even put my bowing practice to any use?!?

But that IS an interesting question. Just chatting and throwing out ideas, we've come up with some really interesting ones which I'd love to see realised on stage. Which is the job of the producer, closing the circle. What really excites me is that we might be drawing inspiration from Rent. A rock musical? Absolute coolness!! Anyway more info as it comes.


I've decided that I wanted to perform The World's Smelliest Durian again, so I've signed up for The Actors' Studio's Free Flow to perform it on Thursday night (19th). See how the script stands on it's own in a stand-up comedy setting, and see how I stand on my own in a stand-up comedy setting. Experience is experience, no?


Broken Bridges

Showing in Ipoh! From Nov 24th to Nov 26th. Exciting? Yes. Cool? Yes. I think the writers (and members of the cast from Ipoh) are the most excited lah. I'm just looking forward to singing and performing again. And hanging out with the crew. And a road trip! Full of makan!

Finally, here's the CD cover for all who are anal about their entries in their iPods (ie my bosom buddies).



Miscellany

BTW if you're wondering, yes I DO have Indonesian friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home