Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Oral Stage

I'm speeding down the LDP, cursing the slow road-hoggers and wishing awful things on the road planners of Petaling Jaya as I turn into Section 17. I don't even spare the traffic light designers. I park outside The Dram Studio and rush in to a calm and compassionate repose on my director's elfin face. Yes, I have decided to convey the tale of The World's Smelliest Durian, under the auspices of The Oral Stage (TOS).

It's a monologue about a man and his dream. I'll play 3 characters. As for the rest, come and see fiftynine minutes, running every day from 28th Sept - 1st Oct. Yes, just got the script and I'm already promoting it.

After my rehearsal, I join in TOS' workshop, conducted by my director - I shall call him Lee Ko Lan (younger brother of Lee Ko Las, a Fellow of the Ring) - who takes us (there were almost 20) through numerous exercises to warm up (physically and vocally) and really stretch out (in mind, imagination, acting, etc). Some visualisation stuff too. Very interesting experience, very NLP and AsiaWorks (in a tiny way) and all that. Thanks to Mr Unscrewing-a-light-bulb, Ms You're-intimidating, Ms I've-got-a-Kit-Kat and Ms I've-got-to-nap for making it all especially entertaining.

Then it was showtime. I got to see a full run (minus 2 plays - mine, for obvious reasons; and the female monologue, because she didn't come) of fiftynine minutes. Very interesting, I thoroughly enjoyed 2 plays in particular - very intense stuff. Another one has big potential to be very clever and funny. Anyway it's 2.5 weeks to go, how exciting.

More to go today.



Something else that's new today is Playwrighting, by Gene Sha Rudyn. Yes, I've decided to take this course, which is at KLPAC. Expanding my horizons and all that. Or just missing that damn place, I'm not sure which. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger machfairy said...

the names brana :) but lightbulb works :P

2:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home