Monday, August 14, 2006

5 days to go...

Opening Night. Saturday night. 19th August 2006. How exciting. Tonight's our last night in the rehearsal studio (where many of our shots have been taken) and tomorrow, it's back on stage. Woo hoo, with the full set and full costumes. How damn bloody exciting. It's tradition to have a "kenduri" on the last night in the rehearsal studio, and Joe's preparing his yummified chicken soup. Today's shaping up well already.

Rehearsals are all going well, we're in the stage where only minor refinement is needed. Everyone's regularly reproducing good results - even Mervyn doesn't have to give us as much hell over our articulation. Admittedly, last Thursday we had a real hell session - I was so exhausted halfway through the night as we started with the costumes (which were really kelam kabut) and then we were repeatedly drilled by 3 sergeants. Starting right, closing right, breathing right, accenting right, pronouncing right, pitching right; then it would be feet, or hands, or faces; then finally it would be, "guys, you don't look like you're enjoying yourselves out there". It's one of those 'putting your head through a glass window' situations.

So maybe it all works. Anyway it's all working NOW, which is important and Very Very Good. I'm personally very pleased with my growth - I'm at the stage where I really don't worry about my singing or my words anymore, and can completely trust myself to get it right; which allows me to act. Of course, even if I get it wrong I can't do anything about it at that moment... so might as well give in completely lah. Ultimately, you can tell me how it goes on performance nights.


Currently hooked on Shogun, by James Clavell - reading it for my 2nd or 3rd time. Well, not reading every single word per se but going through the book and story again. Love it. Makes Japan so damn romantic and sexy and shiok-eda. Set in the 16th century so there's lots of things happening - samurais and ninjas and daimyos, and Portugese and Spanish and Jesuits and Franciscans, and Inquisitions and silk and tea and the introduction of cannons and muskets. It's fiction, yet based on history as we know it - I love those kind of stories. For history buffs, it's the period of time where the European powers are busy colonising the world when they're not fighting or marrying each other; and the Spanish and Portugese are the global powers (after the Dutch and before the English). And the Chinese and Japanese aren't talking to each other (with Korea getting whacked on both sides) but Japan wants Chinese silks and Chinese want Japanese silver / gold. I think I'll go live in Japan for a while. Anyone wanna come?


Also semi-hooked on Titan Quest. It's been far too long since I've gotten into an RPG, so you could say it's about time. On the other hand, I don't have time for get hooked into epic books and RPGs, so it's good that I still don't own Titan Quest (and have almost finished Shogun). Played it multiplayer at Clutch Gamers (SS2) with M and recently Azmir, and it's good fun lah. Simple and intuitive and lots of sexy magic (flying shards of ice and exploding fireballs, it's geek paradise). What's also great is that M's hooked on it - it's her first but she's really gotten into the whole levelling up and getting ridiculously named equipment like "Alleviating Great Helm of Recovery" (yeah I wouldn't put one on my head either) thing. Another point for computer games!


I tell you, only in Wales can a man get so drunk to want a joyride with a goat.


So guys, show some love and come check out Broken Bridges. Mini-poster's on the right, at the top. I promise an exciting and fun show that's well worth your money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home