Sunday, August 20, 2006

Elation

That is the word to describe how I feel. "On cloud nine" could work too. Here I am, at the end of our Broken Bridges' Opening Night - mildly pissed (3 glasses of champagne) and very very happy. A great run, having many friends who turned up and thoroughly enjoyed the show, having some great opening night party makan and drinks, listening to our original cast recording, reading our programme book. What a fucking awesome combination!!!

I'm so happy I could cry. Wooh what a rush. We have a psycho 70-odd pages programme book that is goooorgeous, and everyone looks so great. Hell man, my theatre debut's immortalised in sheer beauty - the CD sounds good (well the voices do - unfortunately without the whole band the songs are a bit lacking now), the set is fricking awesome (so any pictures taken look great, ta muchly Jia Wei!), and we're just blowing people away. Coolness man!

So here I am now - on my "balcony" (you'll have to see it to understand the quotes) with a cigarillo (I SO wanted a cigar but didn't think of getting one), and full of love. Think about this - these are the people I got to work with: Joe and Faridah, long-time hardcore theatre veterans; Mervyn, god-like vocal coach and music veteran; the band, a wonderful amalgamation of musical talent; the backstage crew, a dedicated and focused bunch; and the actors, a massive rojak-pot of assorted aptitudes - be it comedy, leadership, dramatic ideas, mellifluous voices, elegant poise, fluid grace, serious stepping-out-of-the-box or real self-actualisation - we have it all. I am so honoured and overjoyed to work with this crew. No regrets man! All the time, energy, commitment, dedication and passion - all worth it.

Hearing feedback from the audience like "was the music all recorded? It sounded too good to have been sung" (MULTIPLE TIMES okay!) to "the songs were great" to "you were great" to "I really enjoyed it" and all the sobs and tears - love it. Fucking love it. Walking on air. Rainbows everywhere. Yes, the performing arts is all about attention-seeking and approval-seeking (let's not go into the philosophy of that) but holy crapamoly what a feeling it is when you get it.

Personally, from a self-development point of view, I have crossed a major mother milestone. Singing with everything I've got in front of 400-odd people; AND THEN being told that I actually sound great is really a source of pride for me. It's like being told "I wanna be JUST like YOU!" Fuwaaahhhhhhhh! Okay man Douglas, you have a contender for the lead role of the next run of Broken Bridges.

To those of you who came tonight: thank you so very much. You don't know how much it means to me to have seen your faces after the show. And of course the ego-inflation was kinda nice. To those of you who haven't come or don't have a clue: come! You'll love it. And I'll love you for it.

Matinee show tomorrow so must rest. Nighty night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aran Chandran said...

Awesome dude! Congratulations!

You make it sound so good, I wanna run out to the next audition so that I too can experience all this. :)

10:29 am  
Blogger Jo said...

Heh that's awesome. It really was truly wondrous, and the post-opening-night party champagne kinda helped too.

Joe Hasham does Acting for Beginners classes at KLPAC, check out the website for more info (or call them) - that's what started it all for me.

11:32 am  
Blogger xch3qr said...

what would be really awesome is if we could do a recording our songs with the full band accompaniment included...

5:56 pm  
Blogger Jo said...

AND have it all on film?

And THEN follow it up with Broken Bridges: The Movie...


FUUUUWAHHHHH!!!!!

11:56 am  
Blogger Sum said...

Haha... you sound so happy! Happy for you. :) Now I can't wait to watch it. How am I gonna wait 4 days?! :P See ya then!

10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home