Monday, June 16, 2008

Onto Sarawak Cultural Village

When I first saw the sign to the place, it was Kampung Budaya Sarawak, which sounded funny to me. Cultural Kampung? Village of Culture? Anyway it's a lovely place, with the whole area dedication to the beautiful conglomeration of tribes and races that is Sarawak - Bidayuh, Iban, a bunch I don't remember right now, Malay and Chinese. Yes, as Raja Petra mentioned on his Malaysia Today blog (I think it was there), Malay is just a "tribe" among the many that populated this area. Well, I think "mini-nation" is more accurate - I think the comparison is very similar to that of Ancient Greece, with their city-states like Athens, Sparta and Troy as well as their island-nations like Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete. Compares well to Malacca, Jawa and Bali, doesn't it?

I'll talk more about it when I've done more research - I know too little about the history of this region (partly because there hasn't been enough written on it) and I'll need to do greater research on those Ancient Greek times. But that thought was inspired by a wonderful book I just read by David Gemmell - Lord of the Silver Bow, the first book of his Troy trilogy. Which bloody rocks, and I'll discuss more at a later time. Let's just say that I didn't expect to enjoy it this much, and ended up finishing it in about 4 days. Really wishing I brought the 2nd book with me now, but nevermind - I'll devour it when I get back.So, onto more teaser pics. Firstly, many apologies to Hani if you ever read this: you really should've dropped everything and come. But then we'll see how it all turns out, yeah? We did several scenes around and in an Iban longhouse today, in the Sarawak Cultural Village.(No that's not the Iban longhouse in the background.) It was bright and probably the hottest day in our time here thus far.Yes, it's long. It's the same length again behind the shot. That's our Director and DoP there discussing the shots.That's our rest area for shots outside the longhouse, by the lake we used as our "river".This was one of our location shoots before the Village ones. It's actually situated in our Resort.
This was another.Together with this.


And guess what closed our day on Saturday?

This.





Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger yin may said...

Beautiful photos Johann. Especially the sunset. Post more please *_~

9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home